Save on your bookings
- Receive NZ$15 off your first uber ride by entering the code silken2ue when signing up.*
- ola is a definite alternative to uber these days.
- Receive NZ$69 toward your first trip with Airbnb using this link (and if you were ever tempted to become an airbnb host, click here)!*
- Have you ever thought about a homeexchange instead of paying accomodation on a holiday or business trip, either simultaneously or non-simultaneously? Then receive 125 addition Guest Points (GP), just by using this link on Homeexchange. During the sign-up process, you are rewarded with so many GP (I earned 1,750 GP) that you can already stay for free in your first homeexchange (for example, one night at my beachhouse costs 136 GP).*
Camping and travel in New Zealand
- These were my favourite airbnb stays in New Zealand. I’m usually looking for unusual places, like buses, tree houses etc. So if you’re up for similar things, take a look.*
- The staff at Global Wings Travel always come up with a cheaper flight than the one you are able to find. It’s worthwhile checking out this insider tip amongst Germans in New Zealand.
- Canopy Camping – the slightly different camping experience
- Photo impressions on fernfotos.
- Get to know the Kiwis a bit better through the funny short episodes of Goetheinstitut New Zealand, Kiwi-German life swap.
- Are you flying Air New Zealand? Lucky you, they have the best safety videos! Here’s my personal favorite AirNewZealand-Safety video.
- Kiwi pronounciation: dick or deck?
- If you just experience an earth quake, find out everything about it on geonet.
- Where exactly is the other side of the world? antipodr.
- National Geographic – 6 Unexptected Cities for the Food Lovers (including Wellington)
- The Upside Down Eatery in Taranaki (Hawera) is Heimo’s and Renate’s new restaurant. And again they made a local gem out of a, let‘s call it, not so nice place. Because many kiwis are coming back from overseas, they had quite a few amazing internationally renown cooks to chose from. And so there is Patrick Ikinofa now, who just got rewarded with the chef de cuisine Middle East 2020 award in January. Just as before, Renate still regularly swings by your table with with a smile, just as Heimo to check if the guests are happy.
International money transfer / transfers made less costly – It helps to compare between providers because the foreign exchange market changes constantly
- Through this ofx-link you save not only the one-off fees, you also receive a 0.65% better range off mid market rate. Customers not going through this link receive ca. 1.5% versus bank customers up to 4%, or even more if you change cash.*
- Through this currencyfair-link you receive a €30 premium (minimum transfer of 2000 EUR or equivalent).* Or this link for five free transfers (works for all currencies).
- transferwise has often really good exchange rates.*
Travel literature and travel guides
- Noll, Silke: New Zealand – My Adopted Home: A cross-cultural trainers personal portrayal of New Zealand and Germany – and what it’s like to live between two worlds.
- Sh*T Towns of New Zealand.*
- Lancewood, Miriam: Woman in the Wilderness: My Story of Love, Survival and Self-Discovery* (Miriam Lancewood is a young Dutch woman living a primitive, nomadic life in the heart of the New Zealand mountains with her New Zealand husband.)
For the links marked with * I am also receiving a little premium.